Tuesday, March 11, 2008

3 Days to Pi Day!

Hi everyone!

As most of you probably know, I am a huge PI AFICIONADO! I started memorizing the digits of Pi in high school, when I was bored in math class. I would enter "Pi" into my TI-85, and up would pop 3.1415926535898, which I naturally memorized within minutes of this exciting discovery.

My nerdiness pullulated in Math League competitions, where I was aptly nicknamed TI-82. (I'll let you figure out just what made the nickname so apt.) By Junior year, we had created jerseys complete with numbers (e, i, pi, etc.) that we wore to math meets. In our sophomoric glory, I proudly wore number Arctan 2.60508906469 and my friend Wilma wore the Integral of e^x. Jokes for nerds!

While arguing our mathematical perversions at a meet one day, my friend "Rax" pointed out that I could go online and find MORE digits of Pi to memorize. And, as you would probably guess, I did exactly that as soon as I got home. To my shock and dismay, I had memorized a mere pittance of what was out there... a mere 14 digits of over a billion on record! To be truthful, I only knew 13 digits correctly... the 14th digit was not actually an 8, but a 7! To my embarrassment and failure, my (normally) trusty TI-85 had rounded up!

Years later, I've memorized a few more digits of Pi. I'm up to 48 now, and that number is still growing (although, I admit, somewhat more slowly). And every year on Pi Day, I celebrate! Pi Day, for those of you who may not know, is a day to bask in the glory of the irrational number that expresses the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. This number, commonly simplified to 3.14, is appropriately ceremonialized on March 14th (or 3/14), and I do my best to make sure that those around me on Pi Day get swept up in the excitement as well!

Sadly, we don't have any rehearsals on Pi Day 2008. We cannot play fun Pi Day games in person, and we're deprived of Sam's delectable Snickers Pi(e)... but do not fear! We can all celebrate on our own together, thanks to the wonders of the Internet!

To get us started, here are a million digits of Pi!

And let's start a Pi Game... leave a comment in response to this post that corresponds to the next digit of Pi! The first person, leave a 3 (with a decimal point)... the second person, leave a 1... the third person, leave a 4... the fourth person leave a 1... the fifth person leave a 5... etc. If we surpass your own personal level of pi memorization, consult the above link, and keep Pi going! Let's see how far we get before Pi Day!!!

The rules:
~You may only leave one digit of Pi per post.
~The same person may not leave two consecutive posts (although the same person may post again after a different person continues the chain).
~If you notice an INCORRECT post, please let me know and I will use my special powers as a Kaleido-News 'Blog Contributor to rectify the problem.

Happy posting, everybody!
~tommy

21 comments:

Kaleidoscope Theatre said...

3.

Anonymous said...

1

..first of all tommy. i love youu so much. you make me laugh.
second of all i cant WAIT for pi day because my trig teacher is bringing us HOMEMADE PIEEEEE. yumm.

~cassi(E)

Anonymous said...

4

Nicki said...

1

... as in Tommy is the number one fan of pi day!

Tommy said...

5


...as in this is the 5th digit of Pi!

Nicki said...

9

... as in 9 days until we see Jamie!

Anonymous said...

2


as in the number of people who normally run the Kaleido-office...

Tommy said...

6


...as in the number of hours I feel like I just spent writing the poem attached to the next post!

Anonymous said...

5...

As in the number of hours it took me to go see Jamie on Monday and the number of hours it took me to get back home today. What I do for love...

Anonymous said...

woah...

I meant 3.

3 is the magic number.

...as in the number of bears, pigs, and mice in Kaleidoscope fairytales; all species of which I've had the honor of being.

Tommy said...

5


...as in "5!"

Nicki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicki said...

8

... because Tommy beat me to "5" by two minutes!

Anonymous said...

9

...as in Tommy you are a tremendous nerd! Oh wait, that doesn't go with 9 now does it? Whoops!

-cam

Tommy said...

7

Nicki said...

9

Anonymous said...

3

…As in the TI-83 Plus, which only gives 10 digits of π, unlike the TI-85 which, according to Tommy, gives 14 digits. The TI-83 Plus also, disappointingly, rounds up to 3.141592654!

Anonymous said...

2

As in this might be 2 much math for me. I'm a nerd, but only a humanities nerd. I actually set fire to the notes to the last math class I ever took, pre-calculus, in 11th grade, because I found my struggles in that subject so distressing.

But I like both parties and pi(e), so I'll play.

Kaleidoscope Theatre said...

3

Nicki said...

8!
:)

Tommy said...

4