Thursday, March 13, 2008

1 Day to Pi Day!!!

Hello again!

Well first off, I have an exciting discovery that I would like to share with you all! I have figured out how to type the symbol for π! For those of you familiar with Unicode, just type Alt+227, and you, too, can partake in the fun of typing π! For those of you on macs, try Option+p.

π Day is a special day, which carries special meaning beyond its obvious resemblance to 3.14. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), for example, sends out its acceptance letters every year on π Day! Throughout history, several other important events have also been chosen by fate to occur on π Day:
π day, 1644 - England grants rights to establish Providence Plantations (now known as Rhode Island)
π day, 1743 - America's first town meeting held in Boston's Faneuil Hall
π day, 1794 - Eli Whitney patents the Cotton Gin
π day, 1885 - "The Mikado" premieres in London
π day, 1888 - New York City gets 21 inches of snow, the city's 2nd largest snowfall ever
π day, 1900 - Congress transfers US currency to the gold standard
π day, 1931 - The first rear movie projection theatre is built in New York City
π day, 1950 - The FBI implements its 10-most-wanted list
π day, 1951 - US/UN forces capture Seoul in the Korean War
π day, 1990 - Soviet congress votes Mikhail Gorbachev into the newly created position of President
π day, 2002 - Tommy auditions for the national touring company of Cabaret, unaware that it would change his life forever

Two famous mathematicians celebrate their birthdays on π Day as well. Albert Einstein was born on π Day, 1879. Born in Germany and immigrating to America during the second World War, Mr. Einstein would greatly contribute to the world of physics in the fields of relativity, the atomic bomb, and photoelectric effect (for which he won the 1921 Nobel Prize). Waclaw Sierpinski was also born on π Day, in 1882, and is best known for his contributions in mathematics: set theory, topology, and number theory. His most famous discovery, however, is actually in the world of fractals - specifically, the Siepinski Triangle.

Let's do a Sierpinski exercise, in celebration of his π Day birthday! Everybody get a piece of paper, and draw an equilateral triangle. Now, connect the midpoints of the three sides, to create a smaller triangle in the center of the larger triangle. Color this smaller (middle) triangle black; you will now have 3 white triangles around one black triangle. Now, join the midpoints of the three sides of each smaller (white) triangle, to create even smaller triangles, to be colored black. You can continue this process ad infinitum, or until you get bored. You should end up with something that looks like this:


...except that the gray parts will be black, and the black parts will be white!

Congratulations, you've created a Sierpinski Triangle, perhaps the most famous figure in Fractal Geometry!

But enough about fractals, let's get back to π... and more specifically, let's get to the edible kind of π! Even though we can't have a real π Day Party, we can have a pretend π Day Party online - and you're all invited! This Party, however, is pot luck. You all have to bring a food, and more specifically, a π-inspired food! Respond to this post with whatever food you're going to bring... but remember, the food you bring must contain "PI"!

I also wouldn't mind some assistance with entertainment... feel free to suggest any appropriate (and by "appropriate" I mean "containing π"!) activities, music choices, games, party locations, special guests... whatever other fun π-inspired stuff you think of!

Happy π Day Eve, everybody!

8 comments:

Tommy said...

I will bring rice π-laf, a pumpkin π, and for a beverage I'll bring some π-napple juice.

I was thinking about setting up πn-the-tail-on-the-donkey... and for music, I'm going to bring the cast recording of πpπn and some of πnk's CDs.

Nicki said...

Yay! Food! I'll bring...

Food/drink -
1. Shepard's π
2. πckles for Tommy
3. πna coladas - one alcoholic drink in honor of St. Patrick's Day on Monday! (over 21 ONLY!)
4. Hawaiian πzza
5.πnto beans

Music...
1. πrates of Penzance!.... of course
2. π π, Miss American π
check out the link!!
http://www.vvc.edu/ph/TonerS/mathpi.html

Anonymous said...

Happy (almost) π Day, everyone!

I can bring πta pockets and πnto beans, and we can have an old fashioned πcnic. (Do I get extra points for a Kaleidoscope reference?)

π day is one of my favorite days of the year, too! We can have a π off sometime, Tommy. I happen know 50 digits, too. ;)

For some fun π trivia, check this out: http://www.eveandersson.com/trivia/

Happy (almost) π Day,
Graham

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Nicki, I just realized that I copied your πnto beans. I guess I'll bring πnk lemonade instead. :)

Graham

Nicki said...

The most boring (not to Tommy) book in the world is probably: J. Guilloud and M Bouyer, 1000 000 pi, commisariat à l'Énergie Atomique, 1974.

The 415 pages contain the first million decimals of pi! (In case it interests you, the last 5 decimals in the book are : 58151).

Let's invite the authors to Graham's πcnic!

Nicki said...

π Day activity -

Drawing LADY PI
http://users.aol.com/s6sj7gt/ladypi.htm

Anonymous said...

I'll bring πzellis, πllsbury cinnamon rolls, πstachio ice cream and πxie stix. Maybe a πtcher of Mr. πb's cola or (for those over 21) a scorπon bowl, or a πnt of Guinness. (Don't drink too much, or you will have to take a πt stop to π! And by that I meant πddle.)

I'll be wearing πgtails, and maybe a πnifore. Sure, I'll look like a second grader, but I'll be hapπ. I'll make up for it by getting there in my πckup truck.

For fun, I'll bring a πnata, and a πng pong set. Maybe we can play πnball. If I can get a hold of a πccolo, I can entertain. Maybe Tommy can accompany on πano. And we can end the night with a πllow fight!

By the way, I've invited Whooπe Goldberg. I hope that's OK.

Lee Rush-Schwartz said...

Well, with all the drinking I am going to have to bring asπrin.
-What about some bagπpe music?
-Or a game of duckπn bowling?
-Since I'm jewish I'll bring πckles and πerogies
-You can teach me songs from HMS πnafore

Of course, after all that eating, singing, playing and dancing, I'll need a resπrator!