Wednesday, March 12, 2008

2 Days to Pi Day!

Hi everyone!

The Posting of Pi is coming along wonderfully - great job everybody! 6 digits down, 999,994 to go! Just kidding :) (kinda...) Please feel free to keep going with yesterday's post, even though there's a new challenge on today's!

Some of you may think it impressive that I know 50 digits of Pi (yes, I've memorized more since yesterday), but I'm paltry and puny compared to Mr. Daniel Tammet. In celebration of Pi Day 2004, he memorized 22,514 digits of Pi - and it only took him 3 weeks to do so! Here's a clip of him on the David Letterman show... he isn't reciting Pi in the clip (after all, regurgitating that many digits of Pi took him over 5 hours!), but you can still bask in his glory! So here it is, for your own personal hap(Pi)ness :)



If you're having trouble memorizing Pi, then perhaps you're more artistically-brained than mathematically structured. Well fortunately, Pi can express itself in artistic ways, too! There are a slew of Pi POEMS out there, where each word has a certain number of letters that correlate to the digits of Pi. "3.14159265358" could be expressed as: "Yes, I made a roast Wednesday at eleven. Lunch was eaten promptly!" "You" has three letters, and thus corresponds to the number 3... "I"=1, "made"=4, "a"=1, "roast"=5, etc. The only limit to a Pi Poem's length is your own imagination! And, of course, your time :)

Words that are 10 letters long correspond to the digit "0", and worlds that are more than 10 letters long correspond to their respective two-digit value (ie, "Kaleidoscope" has 12 letters, and thus would represent the digits "1" and "2", in that order, in the chain of Pi digits).

Today's challenge: comment on this post with YOUR OWN creative Pi Day Poem! It can be as short or as long as you'd like :)

The longest and most famous Pi Day poem is inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven", and it begins:
Poe, E.
"Near a Raven"
Midnights so dreary, tired and weary.
Silently pondering volumes extolling all by-now obsolete lore.
During my rather long nap - the weirdest tap!
An ominous vibrating sound disturbing my chamber's antedoor.
"This", I whispered quietly, "I ignore".

This is just the first stanza... it continues at length, covering a whopping 740 digits of Pi, and can be viewed here.

Happy writing, everybody!
~tommy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Two days away, just two days away!"
"The mayhem has begun" as Tommy would say.
Decorating like crazy and counting down with joy;
People can celebrate as far away as Illinois.
"Celebrate in Illinois!? No way!" you may say;
Oh yes indeed - contribute to our Pi Blog today!
Countdown with Nicki, add a comment or two;
Please write one now, or Tommy will feel blue.
No need to do work late, or put in time and a half;
just look at the Pi number in the blog's second paragraph.
Find the next number that has not been said;
the number can be found in the Pi Blog to be read.
So that's all for now, sorry to be a pain in the neck;
I just opened my mail - Tommy thanks for the check.
I really need to go, I've been wasting time like crazy;
I forgot what I was doing, my mind is a bit hazy.
Tell Nicki I said hi, and to Cameron, too;
Without our office crew I don't know what we would all do.
I really need to go, I am off on my way;
Thank you for reading and have a happy Pi Day!

Tommy said...

Aha!
A clue -
I found something of import!
While the quick princess, strangely fleeing, scurrying, ran to her carriage,
That maiden of beauty left off her footwear!
It's on castle's staircase; there, glimmering in midnight moonglow, lies a sparkling slipper!
I gently apprehend the enchanted footpiece.
The mystery woman, I asseverate, shall tomorrow be Charming's adoring wife!

Nicki said...

"For I want a rowdy buccaneer to arrive today..."

...okay. This started with "For, I am I Pirate King!" and went downhill from there... but since it's 2am and I'm exhausted, I'm posting it anyway!